Welcome everyone! This is Button...Button, a place where I talk about crafting and whatever other nonsense I can possibly come up with, I love to write and I love what I do from day to day, hopefully you can get some joy out of it too! If you have any questions please feel free to email me at asay.stephanie@gmail.com. Updates will be happening on the regular so please keep checking in!

Monday, May 30, 2011

Find a Button, Pick it Up

I love finding buttons, Whether they be the extra button you get with a new shirt or one that falls off of an old one I just love finding them and putting them in the top drawer of my sewing desk.  I think that is the same little kick I get out of finding things at the antique store, I can't help myself but get excited and wonder what the item has been through or who owned it before me.  In my mind older stuff is always cooler than new stuff (well in most cases :)).  I think we live in a world today where not many people look to the past because that is kind of looked at as a negative thing, but I believe that the things we have gone through and the history we have laid down as a foundation for ourselves is what we need to cherish.  I never really had grandparents, my grandma's died before I was born, my grandpa Koss died when I was three and I was never close to my grandpa Atwood.  The only thing I had of theirs were small items they had like my grandma's hanky, or my grandpa's paint box.  Since I was little I really cherished these things as a way to connect me to them, that basic idea grew into what I love now, the idea that the antique I just bought has a history to it, even though it's not my history.


I'm really lucky that Ky has the same love for it as I do and we've started to make it a habit to go to the antique mall whenever we can, Sunday we were able to go and I found the coolest thing :) When women used to quilt they generally stitched it by hand piece by piece, when you find quilts like these they generally run $150-$200 and I really don't think I could get away with that.  Sunday I found this beauty...
This is an antique quilt that I found for only $30! I really couldn't pass this up, judging by the fabric I would say it was made in the 60's or 70's maybe earlier, it needs a little love seeing as the one thing I don't really like about it is that the back it terry cloth. Never fear I'm going to Price this weekend and my mama bear is going to help me fix it :)

 We need to fix up a few things like this, but that will be really easy.  It a little bigger than crib size so it is going to be so perfect for when we have little ones :) (boy or girl!)


Oh ya! I finally went and picked up my second piece of artwork from Signed and Numbered in Sugarhouse, It's of a whole stack of birds and I just adore it.  The framing turned out perfect and the charcoal matte board the girl working suggested made the ink work really pop, can't help but love this bad boy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment